Monday 10 February 2020

It's getting real!

Which is the way ahead now?
How could I forget to write about the most momentous point so far this year in my blog last week? The fact that I lost my EU membership or rather had it taken away from me. It was ironic that the day before, I was presenting my research to a group of mainly Latvian academics at the Latvian University Geography department. The German host of the session I was presenting in, brought up the point and said it was a good place to be at such a sad time. I was giving a talk on a subject I love, rural Latvia and Estonia, in a country I love, Latvia, and to a group of people who understood the sadness of the occasion. It seemed appropriate anyway.
George in a reflective mood

Turbjørn is a strange one. He likes to be on his own and likes
his space. All alpacas like their space but some more than
others. He is often the one who steps in when there is an
argument to calm things down, although he is grumpy
enough to start a few too, but not serious ones.
The reason I was able to present that day is due to the accumulation of benefits that EU membership has given me. The benefits that have allowed me to live in Latvia all this time, become a permanent resident, study in Estonia and so on, all with relative ease. But who cares that I lost my membership? I do of course, but what does it matter about me in the grand scheme of things? For one I fail to see the benefits of losing EU membership. I cannot see the benefits for my children and grandchildren in the UK either. There is no glorious past to return to, the countries of the former empire have moved on, they are not interested in shoring up the egos of a small country. It might be the fourth largest in Europe after Russia, Germany and France but in the world? 21st apparently!
Tracks in the snow, but not enough to
ski in.

No clouds and a clear view of the moon. Nice for a change.
The problem though is that exiting the European Union is just a milestone in the process. There are still another 11 months to go before we really know the situation. It very much depends on Boris Johnson's government of course and I have to say I am not encouraged by the direction they have taken so far. Some directions are downright alarming, like suppressing the freedom of the press and the resurrection of the Windrush scandal. These are not directions that fill me with confidence. At least for now, there is little effect, since we are in that transition period and I shall continue to benefit from being part of EU projects until at least the end of June.
Grass peeping through the dusting of snow. Still it does
brighten up the day. The girls are all inside though and not
out enjoying the sunshine.

This is February and the river is not
frozen. There are quite a few warnings
about ice fishing on thin ice.
Another transition phase I am in is the process of finishing off my PhD. We are now starting to talk about dates, as I now have a confirmed opponent. Just in case you are not aware of the process; first I had to have three papers published in academic papers, which I managed last year. In fact I now have four with another one on the way. The next stage was to weave those separate papers into one coherent story about my research - called a thesis, which I have more or less done now. The next phase is a pre-defence, where local colleagues challenge what I've done and I have to respond to their comments and criticisms with satisfactory arguments. This will probably involve a partial re-write of my thesis. Finally an opponent from outside of Estonia looks through my work to satisfy themselves that I have produced a piece of research that is satisfactory in quality to be awarded a doctorate; again I have to respond to any comments and criticisms with sufficiently good arguments in an open defence - which means a presentation that anyone can attend. After that, they have to agree that my work is of a sufficiently high standard and hopefully award me my doctorate.
A backdrop of trees

The cross country ski track near our apartment. Not quite
enough snow though for skiing
Another transition phase is the season, only I am not sure the weather really knows which season it is supposed to be heading into. The Latvians are calling it an autumish spring. I think that just about sums it up. We had the tail end of Storm Ciara here today. It was a bit breezy with snow initially that then turned into slush. Not nice. We haven't really seen much of good winter weather here and wonder if we will this year. The Latvian Schools Winter Olympics was cancelled, ironically the day before it snowed, but it wasn't enough to save the event anyway. Very sad for the local businesses around here, as there is usually quite an influx of people for that event.
Storn Ciara, well maybe not storm, but miserable anyway,
with wet snow at a 45 degree angle

Snow melting on the spruce tree

Alder catkins.
I didn't quite follow the normal rhythm this week of working on projects during the normal working week and taking the weekend off. The reason was that it was forecast for sunshine on the Friday and rather overcast and miserable at the weekend. The joys of remote working meant I could take advantage of the good weather and it also meant I could help Ian a little with some work on the farm. I also got out for a bit of a walk around our land too, just enjoying the sun and the scenery. I'm glad I did as the weekend wasn't as pleasant. I did do a bit of work on the Friday as there were some emails that needed to be responded too, but most of the work I saved for the Saturday.
Ian chipping wood to put on our road way

George does like to stand in the doorway
just like his mum.
Sunday I was back out on the land, as we had some visitors booked in, an Australian couple now living in Latvia and their Latvian neighbours. We gave most of the animals injections of Vitamins A, D and E before they arrived and they kindly helped us with Brencis with his injection and while we got his toe nails cut. He wasn't the model of good behaviour, but he wasn't at his worst either. I think he is calming down a bit now or giving in, not quite sure which. Brencis did startle me a bit though as he tried to bite George on the ear while I had a hold of George. I held my hand up to Brencis and told him, "No!" and he backed off. He is reasonably submissive in situations like that for which I'm grateful, as he is on the large side. We think he is trying to protect us, which is kind of sweet, but not helpful.
Our wild sown apple tree

I had never noticed this waterway before. It is quite
close to our apartment
There were lots of questions for Ian to answer about looking after alpacas as they are interested in maybe having some alpacas themselves one day on the land they own in Latvia. How odd to be doing that, when we were in the same situation talking to an alpaca breeder in Australia about 10 years ago, while we were deciding on whether it was a good idea or not. We've come a long way since then. We were doing some working out. Ian has been caring for the alpacas for over half the time he spent in a hospital laboratory in England, about 8 years now. So this has been the second longest job he has done. We also calculated that in March, Ian will have spent as much time doing other jobs as he spent in the labs in the UK. He spent 17 years as a hospital technician in the haematology labs and left that job to move to Denmark 17 years ago. Quite scary really and what an amazing adventure we've been on.
We don't often take pictures on this side of the hill.

The sun was shining through the trees
making the snow glisten like diamonds.

Looking at the back of the girls' alpaca house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will always reply, so go ahead, ask a question or just say hi