Monday 4 January 2021

A New Year

Hopefully better times ahead Brencis. He looks
happy enough. Gotta love a smiley alpaca.

It's hard to wish everyone a Happy New Year with lockdowns ongoing. But that's the way it is. Our region is beginning to see Covid19 infections rise. Up until now we've been in a very safe place where they have not risen above 5 since the virus first appeared in Latvia, way back in March 2020. There is still a very low level of infection in our area and fairly easy to avoid contact in such a low density area fortunately. Today I had to drive into the plague city as Ian and I call it, where infection levels are much higher, to collect my repaired computer. 

As you can see, we still have some
snow and more than Riga as usual.
It was quite patchy in Riga when I
drove in today. It's not very deep
but it won't be going anywhere soon
as the temperatures are due to tumble.
At a crossroads in life?

Normally a trip into Riga would mean that I would arrange to see people and normally I would take the bus. While the thought of seeing someone for a chat and a coffee is appealing it is not possible nor advisable these days due to restrictions. Sitting on a bus, even with reduced numbers for over 2 hours does not appeal at the moment either - even if I can work on a bus and not when driving. So I literally drove in, picked up my computer and drove all the way back - four hours in total. 

Step by step we're moving forward
My Father and Granny at my
godmother's farm in the Lake
District, UK. How times have
changed, now we have so many
photos of the kids. 

There is definitely something to be said for opting for a New Year starting in March after we hopefully head out of this mess with the help of the vaccine programmes. So hands up all those who want to start New Year on the traditional date of the 25th March on Lady's day? It makes more sense as new life starts to spring up around us- at least in the Northern Hemisphere. It seems fitting rather than in the middle of winter. I can understand the need to celebrate in winter when the world seems so dark, but I like the idea of celebrating when the dark days are over and it is time to look forward to sowing seeds and getting back in the garden - if it isn't still covered in snow that is.

My Grandparent's wedding. I haven't got many 
pictures of this Grandad and only a few more
of the one on my mother's side. 

This is the only other picture I have of my 
Grandad. We used to spend many hours 
just sitting next to each other gazing into
the fire. 

Another use for the masks we have
to wear these days. Some of the work
we do is quite dusty, such as haymaking
and the carding of dusty fleeces.

I've kind of enjoyed my time off. I say kind of because there were times I realised I had allowed myself to get too stressed. There were a few misunderstandings over the holidays and the computer breaking didn't help my mood, but that is in the past now and things are going better. At least I feel more relaxed starting back at work. It's a good job I shall only be working four days a week at the moment, but I can think of better ways to spend a day off than driving into the city. Ian and I have been more creative over the last week. Ian is getting back into the carding and spinning of alpaca wool and I've been sorting out old t-shirts. Some have been tacked to make smaller t-shirts as they were always too large and I need some that fit properly. Some have got holes in and so been upcycled. You'll have to wait and see what they look like as I haven't finished them yet. It's been nice in an evening to just sit and stitch though.

The cats are out and about, the alpacas not so
much. One of the few sunny days we had

We finally got around to doing teeth work on some of the alpacas. Poor Mr.P often needs his teeth trimming as they grow too fast and at the wrong angle. The younger boys needed fighting teeth checks. George's teeth needed some work as we don't want him causing injuries to the other boys as they play fight at the beginning of spring. Another job ticked off the list was to move the chicks into the new ark that Ian has made. I hope they'll be okay as they will have to keep each other warm in their hay lined box and the weather is forecast to get quite a bit colder this next week. I saw news reports that by mid-January we might be seeing lower than -20C. So far the forecast is for around -5C/-6C so we'll see. They are getting quite big now and there are 11 of them. It is surprising how warm a hay filled box can be. I made sure that one section had hay stuffed in the roof too, so they can huddle in a smaller area. We also have the option of using fleece to add another insulating layer over the whole ark too if need be.

What is this stuff? Can you eat it?

I've now at least sorted out most of my cupboards and shelving. I can now get to everything, which means I'm more likely to actually do something with it. I was delighted to find a lovely patchwork dress pattern online that will work for some of our granddaughters. It will use up some of those fabrics that have been waiting for a project. I've also done some research and made plans to make my own trousers in the future instead of continuing to buy jeans. They won't be a complete patchwork, but using patchwork inserts. I may as well put that fabric to use. It was an Indian site with some simple but interesting ways of using different fabrics. Watch this space - but not too closely as I have to do them first 😂

Little one meet big one! Rocket Ron seems 
quite adventurous. Our older two cats were not
so happy with the alpacas getting this close.

It was a quiet New Year's Eve for many people and was much quieter here than normal. We don't often stay up these days as Ian at least has to get up to see to the animals. Most years though we are woken at twelve by the fireworks. This year there were a few fireworks but they were set off before a curfew of 10pm. Our curfew was 10pm-5am over the holiday weekend and to be repeated this next weekend for the Orthodox Christmas holidays.

I just love the way that Ginger Tom's fur glows in
the sun. He's quite the handsome chap.

Some years I've gone with Ian out to the land to see the alpacas and some years I haven't. It depends upon what needs doing. This year Ian went out and I stayed behind to potter about the apartment. Pottering apparently is very good for you and it certainly helped just to be doing something creative or doing some organising that helped me to feel more organised in my own life. The clutter was definitely getting to me. Not that we are much less cluttered but I'm not falling over it any more. I definitely am not buying any more clothing or things until it is shifted. It's not that we have lots but obviously too much in a small apartment. 

So in these rather bizarre times, I wish you all the best in the next year. I'm sure better times are ahead, but for now stay safe and look out for each other - we'll get through this and we'll be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will always reply, so go ahead, ask a question or just say hi