Monday 25 January 2021

One of those weeks

You look so sympathetic Josefs. Thanks!
First of all we had the modern life, first world problems.

Example 1.
Decide to send seeds to my friend from our joint order that I finally received last week, since we cannot see each other easily at the moment.
Have to sign up on the delivery company's website. Organise post. Pay for postage 
Need to print off address label
Get printer and connect
Go to print. Printer not seen. 
Since this is the first time printing from this new computer I spend half an hour researching the problem
Download driver. Install driver
Still printer not seen
Spend half an hour researching the problem
Restart computer. Restart printer
Ian comes home for lunch because there is no electric out on the land due to electrical work on the lines.
Spend ages with three computers trying to find work arounds. 
Download drivers onto the other two computers. Downloads are slow as the internet is pitiful during the day, now that people are online so much. It seems like it kind of runs out by the time it gets to us.
In the end we find out the cable wasn't connected properly. Sigh! 
Also find out that the address label did not need printing off, the parcel station prints them for you. Double sigh!
I posted about a card my daughter made for me 
when she was younger that showed me ironing.
It was pretty ironic (no pun intended) as I hardly
ever did any ironing. This week I've been doing lots as
I've been dying then ironing patches for the
patchwork dresses that I am making as I don't have
enough purple ones. Hopefully I do now and I did
enjoy dyeing fabric again. Not done that in ages.
I also have a piece of fabric tie-dyed on blue
fabric that will make some trousers for me.

The pictures are mainly from last week or even
earlier as it hasn't been good weather for photos
and today was a naff day as you will find out.
Example 2.
Mendeley which I use for adding references to my academic papers automatically - won't work. 
Spend half an hour researching problem
Find out that it won't work with the newest operating system, I have to use the web based version, assemble references, export as a file, access Microsoft reference manager, upload to that work from that.....
Or get a colleague to do it who is the librarian on the team. 
Wishing that was just a cable connection problem but it is not! Sigh!
Download another reference software for future use. 
Not enough time though to transfer all data yet. Another sigh!

I haven't been out to the land just lately, since I've
had plenty to keep me occupied at the apartment.
I can imagine that this tree would have reappeared
this week, but by tomorrow might be covered again.

Eyre was often a grumpy looking cat and had
been known to terrorise small children, but she
wasn't all that bad really. RIP Eyre keep LadyV
company.
As I mentioned last week Ian has been struggling with his own computer issues. First of all he spent ages trying to ensure that all his photos that he has tagged over the years are properly transferred to my old computer that is now his. They are his memory and he refers to them often. That is kind of sorted now. Then he's been trying to upgrade Microsoft Office and that is a whole other issue. Just when it doesn't feel like things can get worse he ran over the cat. Eyre would come down every morning to greet him. Every morning he would hope she would get out of the way but this morning the car got stuck on the slush and mud and he had to reverse back down. She obviously did not get out of the way in time and he found her in the car tracks. Eyre bless her wasn't gifted with a lot of brains and she was a tetchy cat, but she adored Ian. Well he was the one who fed her. She had taken to following him around the farm, even when the snow meant she had to jump from footstep to footstep to do so. He's buried her next to Lady V who we only buried last week. 

Hello! After the miserable news, we need an
alpaca or two or three to cheer us up
I would love to be able to give him a big hug, but he's been seeing to the animals all day and I'm in the village in our apartment. He hasn't come home tonight because we are expecting heavy snow overnight and into tomorrow morning. It would be at its heaviest when he would be likely to travel out to the land and so he decided that the best option is to stay out there. A cabin out on the land would be fabulous right now. I could go out there and stay with him in the caravan, but then that would mean getting everything ready for me to join him and he would have to travel to pick me up on treacherously slippy roads. He said they were bad last night. So we are both staying put. He made sure before the last snow fall that there was food out there and he has petrol for the generator, in case the power lines come down in the wet snow we are expecting. He also has snowshoes and heating. So both of us should be fine, well as fine as we can be. Akk! I really don't want to adult today.

You do look like your mother Vanessa

A nice range of colours there

I don't blame you Turbjørn. I wouldn't venture out
either.

A cheery face to end with.


4 comments:

  1. Wow Jo, one of those very challenging days! Life is challenging for you anyway as weather where you are is a bit extreme!
    May you really experience 'joy in the morning'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about Eyre. Looks like she lived out all of her 9 lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just catching up finally with comments. Sorry about that Pene. Thank you for your comment. She sure did live out here 9 lives and some more I think.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will always reply, so go ahead, ask a question or just say hi